Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mea Culpa

Apparently I forgot to mention something in my earlier post about The Top 10 Albums Not By Jack Mathis and I got a phone call from Las Vegas pointing it out to me.
Let me state for the record to my friend David Cassidy that I do love his "Cherish" album every bit as much as I've always said that I do. I still listen to "I Just Wanna Make You Happy" at least once a month. Nothing could ever change that. If I had been given enough room to have a top 20 albums not by me, then it definitely would've made it onto that -- and David's half-brother Shaun's "Born Late" record and possibly the original cast recording from "It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman" featuring his father Jack would've been given strong consideration as well. Alas, it was just a space issue, David. 
For those of you that have not had the pleasure to go see David perform live, I beseech you to do so. He is just phenomenal! I had the great pleasure of opening for him and Ben Vereen on a series of shows on the East Coast once upon a time ago, including a set of dates at Valley Forge that still rank among my favorite experiences of all time. 
It was also brought up that I included nothing by my namesake Johnny Mathis. Here's all I'll say -- if it had been a list of top songs not by me then it would've been chock full of Johnny Mathis. "Chances Are," "The Twelfth Of Never," "It's Not For Me To Say," "The Last Time I Felt Like This"...I'm not sure how I would even begin to narrow it down. Unfortunately, his albums haven't left the same impression on me -- although to be honest we're really just splitting hairs here, because if Johnny Mathis sang the Birmingham phone book I would still probably sit and listen to it.

No comments: