Sunday, February 22, 2009

The List

I've been asked about the list at the bottom down there that shows the Top 10 Albums Not By Jack Mathis. Apparently, not everyone agrees with my opinion on this subject which isn't surprising. Music is art and as with all art there is no accounting for taste. 
However, since I was asked about it -- primarily by my agent Saul, who has no taste whatsoever -- I will offer some additional insight.
The number one album on there Frank Sinatra's "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" really shouldn't leave any room for argument. How can you argue with Francis Albert Sinatra? And this album is one of his masterpieces and would be if it only included the Chairman's version of "Old Devil Moon" from that Broadway classic "Finian's Rainbow." But really every song here is a gem and that includes a pair of tunes from the pen of Cole Porter -- "I've Got You Under My Skin" and "Anything Goes" -- and arranged by Nelson Riddle that represents a meeting of musical titans! (As it happens some friends of mine are currently starring in an off-off-Broadway revival of Porter's "Anything Goes" and it is just spectacular with a capital "S"!) 
Dean Martin's "This Time I'm Swingin'" includes "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" and that's good enough reason for me to hail its awsomeness. Just like with Sinatra, it's hard to go wrong with anything by Dino, but this happens to be my favorite.
"Arrivederci, Roma" from Jerry Vale. Vale is without a doubt, with the possible exception of Al Martino, the most underrated singer of his generation. If listening to this album doesn't immediately make you want to seek out a small Italian restaurant with checkerboard tablecloths and Chianti bottles with candles in them, then I don't know how to help you.
Sammy Davis Jr.'s "Wham Of Sam" -- there has never been a performer like Sammy Davis Jr. EVER! The only problem with this album is that it doesn't include footage of him performing the selections, but even without that I melt each and every time that I hear him taking on "Begin The Beguine." It makes you wish that you could go back in time and catch Sammy at the Cocoanut Grove.
If you only know Jack Jones from his days singing the theme song for the old television show "The Love Boat" then brother, you don't know what you're missing. Not only is Mr. Jones a strikingly handsome man, but my goodness what a voice! Track down this album and listen to "Love Bug" and just try to tell me that you're not blown away.
The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" might seem out of place considering the first selections listed, but I would answer your question with a question -- when was the last time you pulled out Brian Wilson's masterpiece and listened to it? "God Only Knows" is obviously on par with anything that any of the masters (Porter, Berlin, Carmichael, Bacharach, etc.) wrote, but other songs like the haunting "Caroline, No" are only a shade behind in their brilliance.
Tito Puente, God rest his soul, was one of the most engaging performers that I ever had the opportunity to watch and the album "Mucho Cha-Cha" captures his spirit perfectly. If your backside isn't wiggling while you listen to this then you better head for the doctor to have them check your pulse!
Maybe I'm just a sucker for Latin rhythms then because I feel absolutely the same way about Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass's "South Of The Border." When I was young, I used to stare at the album cover for this and imagine what a magical place Tijuana must be. Of course as an adult, I've had the good fortune to spend many a happy evening south of the border in that town. Sure, I've lost the odd wallet at knifepoint, but I would trade a hundred wallets for another night with the Melendez sisters, Maria and Marguerite.
What can you say about Tony Bennett that hasn't already been said? The man is a master with a lyric, who for years stayed in the shadows because he wasn't quite Sinatra. Finally, everyone discovered what us singers had known all along -- no one's Sinatra. When I'm feeling a little down, I crack open a bottle of scotch, grab "The Many Moods of Tony Bennett," put on "The Kid's A Dreamer" and pick myself back up off of the floor for another round with life.
Finally, I put on The Beatles' "Abbey Road." While my tastes obviously run towards a certain style, there is no way that I can think of to argue against the sheer genius of the music of The Beatles, and I can't imagine anyone even trying. I don't know how you can be a fan of melody and lyrics and not love them. There might be other Beatles albums that I listen to more, but this album includes George Harrison's "Something" which I've utilized in my own shows on numerous occasions and right there earns it a special place in my heart. 
So there you go -- proof that I didn't just toss together a hodge-podge of music without giving it any thought (as my irascible manager accused me of).

No comments: